The 50mm f/1.8 lens has earned the nickname the 'nifty fifty' because of it's low price and sharp optical quality.
The 50mm f/1.8 is the least expensive lens at this focal range. And dear readers, this lens is a marvel. I’ll keep it very simple - why the 50mm f/1.8 is a must:
1. At a little over a 100 Euros, it is very cheap and easy on the pocket for everyone including hobbyists.
2. Do not let the cheap price fool you. The 50mm is fantastically sharp, owing it's amazing optical quality to it's simple design.
3. Very light and compact, it is super-easy to carry around.
4. With an f/1.8 maximum aperture, this is a fast lens. This means that it has a bigger aperture that will allow you to shoot at high shutter speeds even in low light.
5. Last but not least, the 50mm f/1.8 offers a great learning curve. Faced with the limitation of a fixed focal length, you will find yourself being more creative and more involved in the photographic process. In a nutshell, prime lenses offer great exercise for your composition techniques.
Conclusion: If you do not own the 'nifty fifty' as yet, I truly recommend you get one! It won't cost you that much and I guarantee you will love it!
The 50mm f/1.8 can be purchased from Avantech in St. Julians Road, San Gwann, for 109.99 Euros inc VAT.