Monday, February 18, 2013

Here's our winner!



Sarah Bugeja Kissuan’s photo pictured above is the winning shot for the competition ‘Colour me Pretty’. 

Sarah, a passionate young lady with a love for colours and all things dreamy, won a 200 Euro voucher from Avantech Ltd., which went towards her dream lens, the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM.  We were very impressed to hear about the ‘making of’  of the winning photo.

I was at my grandmother's house studying for my June first-year MD exams, and to treat me she bought me a packet of skittles, which I love. They were in an unusual orange packet, and amongst them were blue and pink skittles. Being a colour-lover, I realized that with an extra packet of red skittles, I had all the rainbow colours at hand.
Later that day, I found a cute glass bottle in the bathroom and suddenly it clicked – a bottle of rainbow! I was excited to put it all together.
An extra packet of red-packet skittles helped me fill the bottle by placing the skittles one by one using same-coloured skittles for each level. I used a blue throw-over my grandmother gave me to keep me cozy while studying, and laid it over my desk in an L-shape. Initially I tried using a sparkly black scarf instead, but that didn’t work as well as I had planned because it seemed to drain some of the overall saturation. I also have a thing for bokeh, so in the vertical part, I pinned the plentiful coloured diamond-like earrings I own into the cloth (which is what those coloured sparkles are in the back!) and placed the bottle on the horizontal part of the cloth, some distance in front of them. I shone my desk-light onto the whole setup, with light shining off the earrings making them bright, and then used my Canon 600D and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II with a wide aperture to take the photo! It took many many shots to get the perfect angle, alignment and focus, but in the end I was happy with this one'

We look forward to seeing some creative macro shots from this talented young girl!

Well done Sarah!



Sarah’s work can be viewed here: http://www.facebook.com/SarahBKsPhotography (and for those that use DeviantArt - http://sarah-bk.deviantart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment